Condé Nast asked voters to rank the 30 best islands in the world outside the U.S. in the 2018 Readers’ Choice Awards.
Whitsunday Islands beat out Bora Bora (2), Moorea (3) and Tahiti (4) in French Polynesia to be ranked the best island in Australia and the South Pacific while Fiji took fifth spot.
In announcing the winners, Condé Nast Traveler said the Whitsunday Islands were practically ‘synonymous’ with honeymoons and bucket lists, with Whitehaven Beach given a special mention.
“Australia’s Whitsundays, a series of 74 islands off the coast of Queensland (in the heart of Great Barrier Reef scuba and snorkel territory), is home to Whitehaven Beach, where the sand is 98 percent pure silica, giving it its bright, white colour and keeping it cool (even in the hot sun),” the prestigious travel publication said.
Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ) Chief Executive Officer Leanne Coddington said recognition in Condé Nast Traveller Reader’s Choice Awards was great news for the region.
“The Whitsunday Islands offer travellers the perfect holiday destination with crystal clear waters and access to Queensland’s greatest natural wonder, the Great Barrier Reef,” she said.
“To receive this international recognition is a wonderful achievement for the region and demonstrates the enormous international appeal of the Whitsundays, which attracted more than 240,000 international visitors over the past year.
“Congratulations also to qualia on Hamilton Island, which continues to dominate the world’s luxury tourism offerings, leading the way with their customer-centric approach.”
More than 429,000 people undertook the 2018 Readers’ Choice Awards survey which ranks the best islands in the world by region, including the best in Asia, Australia and the South Pacific, Europe and the Caribbean and the Atlantic.
Hamilton Island’s luxury qualia resort in the Whitsundays was also named in Conde Naste Traveler’s Top Resorts in Australia and The South Pacific: Readers’ Choice Awards 2018. Readers gave the waterfront resort a score of 94.9 out of 100, helping qualia come in at 14th spot ahead of the Four Seasons Resort in Bora Bora.
- Discover Fiji - October 12, 2019
- Accor’s Super Sale - October 7, 2019
- Thailand’s festive end to Buddhist Lent - October 3, 2019
- Rwanda’s baby gorilla naming ceremony, Kwita Izina - September 24, 2019
- Adventure into Vanuatu - September 6, 2019
- Europcar in Australia Tops Car Hire Rankings in 2019 - August 24, 2019
- Fares to Europe drop below $999 - July 30, 2019
- Viking Announces Exciting New South America Cruise Itineraries - March 29, 2019
- New Qantas service connects Sunshine Coast to the world - March 28, 2019
- Fright-seeing Scotland’s Ghost Trail - October 29, 2018