Tourism in Solomon Islands is making strides to increase its profile on the international tourism stage with the introduction of a new tourism program.
The newly introduced Minimum Standards and Classification for Tourism Accommodation program has been put in place to implement a vital improvement of standards in Solomon Island’s tourism accommodation sector.
Basically, the new program means that accommodation providers in Solomon Islands will be able to offer travelers better deals easier.
Currently there are 160 accommodation providers operating in the Solomon Islands but only about 10 per cent of these can currently be sold by international wholesalers offering Solomon Islands travel packages, this is now likely to change for the better thanks to the new program.
According to Josefa Tuamoto, CEO of Tourism Solomons, the program is a major step in the right direction for Solomon Islands’ tourism industry.
“This long-awaited but carefully laid out program will act as a catalyst for the local tourism accommodation sector to take a holistic approach to service excellence,” Mr Tuamoto said.
While increased tourism was in the national interest according to Bunyan Sivoro, Director of Solomon Islands Ministry of Culture & Tourism, the main benefactors would eventually be the tourism operators themselves.
“We in the tourism department look forward to this exciting new chapter in the development of our tourisms sector,” Mr Sivoro said.
Special thanks were also given to Australian Volunteer International’s Bjorn Svensson who, with DFAT funding, provided the technical input and guidance in finalising the Minimum Standards document in addition to training and inducting countless tourism industry staffers into the program.
- The best of South Africa - September 4, 2019
- Hotel Review: Simbavati River Lodge - September 4, 2019
- Tips for an ethical South African Safari - September 3, 2019
- Hotel Review: Sabi Sabi Selati Camp - September 3, 2019
- Which South African safari is right for you? - September 2, 2019
- Scoot renames premium service to ScootPlus - August 24, 2019
- Photography tours to try this World Photography Day - August 19, 2019
- Product Review: Tesalate Towel - August 6, 2019
- Discover the Gold Coast - July 24, 2019
- Hot Air Ballooning on the Gold Coast - July 23, 2019