For the second consecutive year, two restaurants in Peru have made it into the top 10 of the 50 best restaurants in the world, with a further five restaurants in Latin America also making the list.
The annual list is decided by a panel of more than 1000 culinary experts and provides a snapshot of some of the best destinations for unique culinary experiences (www.theworlds50best.com)
Placing at the sixth spot on the world’s top 50 restaurants and therefore making it the list’s best restaurant in Latin America, is ‘Central’ restaurant in Lima, Peru, promoted as a shrine to Peruvian cuisine. The exclusive menu is inspired by Peru’s landscape and wildlife with dishes such as the ‘Waters of Nanay’ – piranha fish served in an entire, sharp-tooth-filled piranha head.
Just behind Central on the list and also located in Lima is Maido, the seventh best restaurant in the world. Maido is a fusion of Peruvian and Japanese cuisine with an emphasis on seafood. From succulent cod marinated in miso with crispy nuts to sea urchin rice, Maido’s cuisine offers a vibrant mix of two cultures.
Also featured on the list were Quintonil restaurant and Pujol restaurant, both in Mexico City, Borago restaurant in Santiago, Chile, DOM restaurant in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Astrid & Gaston restaurant, also in Lima.
The Managing Director of Australia’s longest running Latin America tour operator, Contours Travel, Ted Dziadkiewicz, is no stranger to the diverse and colourful culinary experiences Latin America has to offer.
Contours Travel’s nine-day Flavours of Mexico Culinary Tour for independent travellers is a foodie’s dream where travellers can experience the diversity of Mexico’s cuisine.
The itinerary begins with four nights in Mexico City during which time Contours Travel can book guests into list-topping Quintonil and Pujol restaurants to experience some of the world’s best meals. The tour includes visits to food markets, cooking classes and food samplings including Mexico’s famous mole poblano, a casserole dish featuring chocolate and chilli. The independent tour, available any time, is priced from $2499 pe person, twin-share, including accommodation, transfers and sightseeing.
Call Contours Travel on 1300 135 391 or visit www.contourstravel.com.au
- Adventure into Vanuatu - September 6, 2019
- Europcar in Australia Tops Car Hire Rankings in 2019 - August 24, 2019
- Fares to Europe drop below $999 - July 30, 2019
- Viking Announces Exciting New South America Cruise Itineraries - March 29, 2019
- New Qantas service connects Sunshine Coast to the world - March 28, 2019
- Fright-seeing Scotland’s Ghost Trail - October 29, 2018
- Whitsundays ranks as best island in region - October 25, 2018
- Nat Geo & Scenic River Cruise Partnership - October 24, 2018
- MSC Cruises enters ultra-luxury segment - October 19, 2018
- 5 Fun Facts about Canada - September 6, 2018