Scandinavia encompasses the countries of Norway, Sweden and Denmark. The location has distinct seasons, making it an attractive option year-round for tourists.
From taking a cruise through the Norwegian fjords in summer, to viewing the Northern Lights from a glass igloo at the top of Sweden in winter-time, the experiences the region offers are versatile.
Whilst most travellers to Scandinavia are more seasoned visitors of European destinations, the region is the perfect destination for all types of travellers – solo, couples, families, and any age, budget or experience. It caters particularly well for those who enjoy taking travel slow and appeals to those who love the beauty of nature.
Adventure travellers can hike through mountains and experience snow activities such as reindeer, husky sledding and snowmobile exploration. For families, Christmas time is particularly special with the area embracing the winter wonderland and legend of Santa Claus. And for older travellers, cruising along the Norwegian coastline on the daily Hurtigruten ferries whilst sampling the best local seafood is a major drawcard.
How to get to Scandinavia
Numerous airlines now fly from Australia via Asia and the Middle East into the capital cities of Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm. These include Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Qatar Airways, Thai Airways and also Scandinavian Airlines codesharing with Qantas. The area is accessible from mainland Europe by rail – Germany into Denmark, with services through to the rest of the region, and ferry services run from the Baltic States into Stockholm.
Top things to do in Scandinavia
- Stockholm – visit ABBA Museum
- Stockholm – shop at Gamla Stan (old town area)
- Kiruna – stay at the Icehotel
- Copenhagen – lunch in the Nyhavn harbour area
- Copenhagen – enjoy Tivoli Gardens amusements
- Oslo – explore Vigeland Sculpture Park
- Bergen – Fish Markets on Bryggen Harbour
- Norway – cruise on the Geiranger Fjord
- Norway – Norway in a Nutshell tour with Flam Railway from Oslo to Bergen
- Norway – drive the Atlantic Rd along the coastline from Molde to Trondheim
For more visit www.beyondtravel.com.au
- Discover Scandinavia - January 20, 2020
- Challenge yourself to Kokoda Trail in 2020 - December 20, 2019
- 2020 Travel Gift Guide - December 2, 2019
- Discover Fiji - October 12, 2019
- Accor’s Super Sale - October 7, 2019
- Rwanda’s baby gorilla naming ceremony, Kwita Izina - September 24, 2019
- Adventure into Vanuatu - September 6, 2019
- Europcar in Australia Tops Car Hire Rankings in 2019 - August 24, 2019
- Viking Announces Exciting New South America Cruise Itineraries - March 29, 2019
- New Qantas service connects Sunshine Coast to the world - March 28, 2019