The Kokoda Trail has been a place of pilgrimage for Australians, and others, for many decades, so why not make this new decade the year you trek the Kokoda Trail.
A place of ANZAC reverence and of personal challenge, the Kokoda track is one of the many walking tracks in Papua New Guinea that existed long before the Europeans discovered this part of the world.
Once used for trade and cultural interaction between tribes, during the course of World War II, the Japanese decided to use this trail as means of ground attack against the Australians in Port Moresby.
One end of the track lies in the north of the country at a village called Kokoda. It winds up and down over the rugged Owen Stanley ranges and finishes in the south at Ower’s Corner nearby Port Moresby.
Today the remains of the war lie strewn in the jungle and the track has reverted to quiet solitude, disturbed only by occasional trekking group. There are several villages along its length inhabited by peace-loving, hospitable locals. These are the descendants of the people who became known during the war as the ‘Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels’ because of their selflessness in helping wounded Australian soldiers.
Papua New Guinea owned and operated, South Sea Horizons practise responsible-tourism that gives back to the communities they interact with. They only employ local Papua New Guineans as porters, historians and cooks. The local porters used while trekking include direct descendants of the last remaining ‘Fuzzy-Wuzzy-Angels’.
South Sea Horizons Kokoda Expedition packages are on sale from now until 28 February 2020, or until sold out. Travellers can save up to $200 on tours for departures on the Kokoda to Owers Corner tours 24 April 2020, 6 June 2020 and 6 July 2020.
To book, phone +61 432 744 490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more, visit www.southseahorizons.com
- Discover Scandinavia - January 20, 2020
- Challenge yourself to Kokoda Trail in 2020 - December 20, 2019
- 2020 Travel Gift Guide - December 2, 2019
- Discover Fiji - October 12, 2019
- Accor’s Super Sale - October 7, 2019
- Rwanda’s baby gorilla naming ceremony, Kwita Izina - September 24, 2019
- Adventure into Vanuatu - September 6, 2019
- Europcar in Australia Tops Car Hire Rankings in 2019 - August 24, 2019
- Viking Announces Exciting New South America Cruise Itineraries - March 29, 2019
- New Qantas service connects Sunshine Coast to the world - March 28, 2019