Canada is a definite go-to country for many travellers to visit and explore, but before you go you might want to read up on some of the countries fun facts – from name origins to the city with the most pubs, here are five fun facts about Canada.
Fun Fact: Canada’s name comes from a misunderstanding between Jacques Cartier and some Iroquois youth who were pointing out a village (for which they used the word “Kanata”). They were actually trying to identify the small area which is present day Quebec City, but Cartier used the similar-sounding word “Canada” to refer to the whole area. Oops!
Fun Fact: Despite what you might think about bears in general a grizzly bears’ diet is mainly vegetarian, and consists of vegetation, nuts, berries, and roots. Apart from that, they also feed on fish such as salmon, trout, and bass. Basically, a grizzly bear is healthier than most people…
Despite this it is still prone to attack you if you’re near its cubs, it’s food or just doesn’t like you in general. In other words treat the bear as if it were your girlfriend.
Fun Fact: There are more pubs per capita in Halifax, Nova Scotia than any other city in Canada which might have to do with Halifax is closer to Dublin, Ireland than it is to Victoria, British Columbia or it may be due to the fact that there are 6 universities in the town as well. Either way… Drink up!
Fun Fact: Ice wine is a type of dessert wine produced from grapes that have been frozen while still on the vine. The sugars and other dissolved solids do not freeze, but the water does, allowing for a more concentrated grape juice to develop. Fingers crossed you like sweet wines.
Fun Fact: If water sports are more your thing be amazing at these facts about Niagara Falls; 567,811 litres go over the falls per second, therefore 34,068,660 per minute, 2,044,119,600 per hour and 49,058,870,440 litres per day. That is 20 Olympic size swimming pools of water over the falls each and every day!
- Viking Announces Exciting New South America Cruise Itineraries - March 29, 2019
- New Qantas service connects Sunshine Coast to the world - March 28, 2019
- Fright-seeing Scotland’s Ghost Trail - October 29, 2018
- Qantas and KLM make Amsterdam closer - October 26, 2018
- Whitsundays ranks as best island in region - October 25, 2018
- Nat Geo & Scenic River Cruise Partnership - October 24, 2018
- WEEKLY DEALS: Cruise Europe, Busabout, Outback adventures & more - October 23, 2018
- MSC Cruises enters ultra-luxury segment - October 19, 2018
- Check in with VA via voice - October 7, 2018
- 5 Fun Facts about Canada - September 6, 2018