After successfully launching their Ocean Ambassador Program in 2017, Captain Cook Cruises Fiji is continuing its environmentally friendly policies by eliminating as much single use plastic items onboard small ship MV Reef Endeavour and on Tivua Island.
Plastic drinking straws will no longer be available onboard, with an optional recyclable paper straw available for those particularly elaborate cocktails and plastic cups will be replaced with reusable cups. The company will also recycle all Vai Wai water bottles back to the supplier.
Captain Cook Cruises Fiji’s Managing Director, Jackie Charlton, said the decision to reduce plastics use was an easy one to make after realising they could do even more for the environment by minimizing plastics onboard.
“Plastic pollution is a real threat to our oceans and after the success of our Ocean Ambassador Program, we wanted to lead the way environmentally onboard, just like we were doing onshore and remove all plastic straws and cups from the Reef Endeavour.” Says Jackie.
In November 2017 Captain Cook Cruises Fiji launched a new environmental and sustainability initiative, the Ocean Ambassador Program. This program is aimed at removing rubbish pollution in remote Fiji with a focus on plastic and looking after and sustaining the Fijian environment.
The initiative focuses on cleaning up waste from the remote beaches and villages visited on Captain Cook Cruises three, four, seven and eleven-night cruises, and at the same time educating villagers, crew and passengers collecting valuable data about the types of waste found in the Fiji Islands.
Since the program started, crew and passengers have collected on average 70-120kg of rubbish per week from the beaches they have visited.
Captain Cook Cruises Fiji operate a range of accommodated, day and dining cruises including three, four, seven and eleven-night cruises around the Mamanuca, Yasawa and remote Northern Islands of Fiji, a day tour to their privately owned Tivua Island and nightly dinner cruises departing from Port Denarau.
For more visit www.captaincookcruisesfiji.com.
- Viking Announces Exciting New South America Cruise Itineraries - March 29, 2019
- New Qantas service connects Sunshine Coast to the world - March 28, 2019
- Fright-seeing Scotland’s Ghost Trail - October 29, 2018
- Qantas and KLM make Amsterdam closer - October 26, 2018
- Whitsundays ranks as best island in region - October 25, 2018
- Nat Geo & Scenic River Cruise Partnership - October 24, 2018
- WEEKLY DEALS: Cruise Europe, Busabout, Outback adventures & more - October 23, 2018
- MSC Cruises enters ultra-luxury segment - October 19, 2018
- Check in with VA via voice - October 7, 2018
- 5 Fun Facts about Canada - September 6, 2018